6.30.2010

And so it begins...





We made it to Peace House, which is located 40 minutes west of Hanoi. This is where we'll be staying for the duration of our volunteer time. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere, which is nice. I was ready for a break from the hustle and bustle of Hanoi's Old Quarter. I believe there's a few small villages here and there about 15 minutes away from us.

There were quite a few newbies that arrived yesterday. We're staying in dorm-style rooms with bunks and each person has their own fan! This is much needed, as it is very hot. The accommodations are very basic, but the people and food are wonderful! I'm so excited to get started! We chatted with Allie, a girl from the U.S., last night. She was on her way home to Wisconsin, but she offered a bunch of great info about Friendship Village (where we'll be volunteering). Again, I'm SO excited! I hope I get to work in the clinic with the physiotherapists. We're about to start orientation today...it includes a program discussion, Vietnamese lesson, and more.

P.S. One more exciting thing - we get to ride bikes to work! Some of the volunteers have a super long commute by bus, so we're pretty lucky. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment