6.29.2010

Hoa Lu and Tam Coc














































This guided trip is to the Hoa Lu Temple, the ancient capital of Vietnam before year 1000. We learned the difference between a Temple and a Pagoda. A temple is to acknowledge important people/heroes and a pagoda is a place of worship (Buddhism). It was interesting. They are building up the area to make it look more modern.



Next we rode bikes for 60 min to Tam Coc, tmeaning "three caves," and rode in a sampan, rowed by a Vietnamese womam , for 1 1/2 hrs...wait till you see the pics. We cruised amogst hundreds of limestone formations and through 3 caves (120m, 70m, 40m). Tam Coc is also known as the Halong Bay of the Land. It was gorgeous!



First I have to be honest before rumors start. Yes, I got very tired when I thought we were to our destination and the guide said we had 10 more minutes. It was really really hot, and I do not usually ride a bike. All the riding was on a flat pavement at a moderate pace. Well, I took a little spill. Got a skinned knee and a few bruises. Best of all I got a ride on a motor bike before Allison did in Vietnam....what a price I paid. I can to my own rescue with bandaids in my purse!!!



I have to tell you about the cross cultural contacts we have made here in Vietnam. We traveled agian with people from all different homes. Today we were with Philip and Doris from Austria. She is a physical therapist and he works in a bank. Next was a girl traveling alone from Spain and she is a veteranarian. Lastly we met Katherine and Ingunn from Norway. The are two deaf girls who were very friendly. They told us that sign language is different in every country, just as language is different. Katerine teaches English and Math at a school for the deaf and does talk. Her friend Ingunn, does not speak and works in Customs. It is amazing how easy it was to communicate with them.


Someone asked us to describe Uncle Sam in America...that was a bit of a challenge.

We found out that Vietnamese are 1 year old when they are borm. Vietnamese hope for a girl first so the girl can take care of the parents when they get older. Many homes in Vietnam are tall and thin with not many rooms. Different generations live on the different floors. Most Vietnamese food is cooked in bean oil...there is little milk and vertually no cheese here. I guess they get their calcium from many vegetables and yogurt...I think that would be alot of vegetables if they require as much calcium as Americans. Vietnamese call their skin yellow, not brown. Again today every wore long sleeves, gloves, pants and a scarf across their face...did I tell you how hot it was today, very hot.



Allison will post pics tomorrow. Look for the Lotus Temple, ducks, umbrellas, winding waterway, caves, mountain goats, beautiful rock formations pictures and me in my beautiful red hat! I will be excited to share rock and karst pics with the 6th graders at West Vincent when they do their rocks and minerals topic. Barbara, please tell Donna my toilet paper was folded at the resort and in my Guest house. Allison is making fun of my red hat....I have to be practical, Claire would not let me bring the one I had planned to bring, so I had to buy the red one for 2 $. This entire trip today was only 29$. It included a 3 hr mini bus ride to the site and back home by 6:30 pm...Time to go to bed. We want to get up early and see locals doing Tai Chi at Hon Kiem Lake tomorrow and a cooking class and be picked up to go to our volunteer destination. I hope I can rest a bit there. We are really keeping ourselves very busy in this northern part of Vietnam

We are off to walking at the lake and people watching today, cooking class including going to the market and then to be picked up by Volunteer for Peace at Vietnam. Love all of you.

4 comments:

  1. BTW - Tammy, speaking of rocks: if you find any interesting and different small rocks, would you please bring me a couple? I've started collecting rocks from different places rather than pencils. I'm surprised how attached I've become to the ones I have already. I can't wait to read your posts every morning! How exciting for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh are there rocks. I will bring small ones though. Ben brought a rock back from the Great Wall of China. maybe we can share a piece of it with you. That is an interesting collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds beautiful Tammy. Some very interesting facts. Sorry to hear about your fall. Can't wait to see all your pictures. (Paula)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, we tried to warn you about all of the tourists leaving skin on the pavement! I'm enjoying catching up on all of your posts. I'm hoping that reading your blog will help ease my PVD, Post Vacation Depression... -Laurie

    ReplyDelete