7.12.2010

Getting into the routine...











I started out the morning in the garden – it’s becoming my routine. We harvested some morning glory, then tore out the rest of the crop because bugs had gotten to it. It’s amazing how the gardener covers up to avoid sun. I’m slick with sweat in a tank top and shorts while the gardener works in pants, long sleeves, a face mask, hat, and boots! The Vietnamese people definitely take extreme measures to protect their skin from the sun despite the sweltering heat.

I split my time between the clinic and classrooms for the rest of the day. The kids at Friendship Village are just like any other kids – they crave love, fun, and attention! We were caught by surprise at the end of the day. All the kids started cleaning up the classrooms, washing down the furniture, and weeding the gardens. It was so great to see them show responsibility and exercise independence. Everyone was busy doing a job in preparation for a mysterious Saturday event.

After work, we headed straight into Hanoi. Maya, Laura, mom and I ate at the Gecko Restaurant for dinner. We’re becoming regulars there…the chef recognized us from the cooking class. All the people there are so friendly! I opted for Vietnamese food, but avoided rice since we have it at every meal. I had a great dish with veggies and rice noodles. Mom and I stayed at the Sunshine 3 Hotel again in the Old Quarter. Our room didn’t have a tub this time. However, the complimentary fruit was delicious. I love the mango!

On another note – we both started our malaria meds. I took mine after dinner and was doubled over in pain in the middle of the night. I guess I didn’t have enough food with it or something? I’ve been on doxycyline (spelling?) before for acne and don’t remember having this reaction. Luckily, I’ve been fine ever since. Whew!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - I didn't know malaria med were so strong that you could have that kind of reaction. Hope the next dosage goes better for you! Barb A

    ReplyDelete