7.15.2010

Time to Retire the Facemask





































We're officially finished with our volunteer efforts at Friendship Village. No navigating between potsholes on dusty streets alongside cars, trucks, motorbikes, and animals on the way to work. No more playing with the kids. No more therapy in the clinic. No more gardening.

As always, we had a fun day at Friendship Village. I started a mini-spa day for the girls yesterday and it seemed to catch on fast - almost all of them have pink or blue fingernails and toenails now! While mom spent most of her time in classroom 1 (lowest-level functioning kids), I split my time between that class and the third class (highest functioning kids) while not in the clinic. I was really starting to enjoy helping them with handwriting and arithmatic. I almost have numbers 1-10 down in Vietnamese! 7, 8, and 9 are still tough, though...Instead of copying handouts, the teacher simply writes problems or assignments for the kids in notebooks. The kids seemed to respond well to positive encouragement and having someone watch over them as they did their work. The teacher in the third class seemed to be the most hands-on with the kids. They definitely get a lot of instructional time, even in the summer. She sits at a table with all of them and barks out orders/hits the table with a ruler to keep them in line. It's kind of entertaining. It seemed like she appreciated having an extra hand...All in all, volunteering has been a wonderful experience. We felt a little lost/not needed at first, but got more comfortable as time went on. I think we're leaving at the right time - if we stayed any longer, I know I'd start to get too attached to the kids!

We had a delicious final meal before leaving Peace House this afternoon. There was rice (obviously), pork balls (not meatballs), fried battered prawn, sitr-fried morning glory, carrots/onions/beef, and watermelon. As always, I mixed everything together and covered it in chili sauce! Mmm! Although the home-cooked meals were wonderful, I'm looking forward to switching it up a bit.

Mom, Hannah, and I arrived at the Rising Dragon Hotel around 2PM. We have a tub...and a shower curtain!!! That's a first! It's a lovely hotel and about the same price as the others ($22/night for a double including buffet breakfast). We spent some time walking around the city this afternoon and made a pit stop at a new, trendy ice cream shop. Then, we proceeded to sample some dough balls from a woman on the street. I've been eyeing them up since we got here, so it was time. She gave each of us one to try and it was yummy! I've been craving baked goods...I already put in my request for chocolate cheesecake upon return home. Claire better pull through for me...

5 comments:

  1. I'm very excited to visit when you get home. So much has happened this past month between you guys and Sara and Emily. We've got lots to share. Continue your safe travel and we'll see you soon. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you comment Teresa. You pick the day that you can come...I plan on staying close to home when we get home Wed July 20...I am anxious to hear about the European Adventure from Sara and Emily too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the shower and hotel! (Paula)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy, depending on the time difference, you may be confused, or maybe it's just the heat, it's been warm here, but not near what you are experiencing, but Wed is the 21st. Tues is the 20th, E & S 16th bday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have special plans for their 16th bday?

    ReplyDelete