7.12.2010

Trip to the Supermarket

Laura, an Australian, and I went to the Big C during our long lunch break today. The Big C is like a huge mall with an enormous grocery store on the top floor. I went in search of chocolate and a phone card; she went in search of snacks and a watch battery. We opted to take the bus there, considering it’s super cheap. Luckily, we didn’t have to wait long. The guy tried to charge us 20,000 dong ($1) instead of 5,000 dong ($0.25). We wouldn’t have it. I’m really getting fed up with how the Vietnamese seem to band together to rip off all foreigners! Getting back wasn't so easy. We hopped on the wrong bus, then tried to get a motorbike...Ulimtately, we ended up taking a cab because it was the cheapest option.

I was checking out some shoes when I came across two young Vietnamese girls. They kept looking at me and giggling. (Maybe they were giggling at me because I was wearing a Vietnamese flag t-shirt – I felt like a huge tool). Finally, one came up to me and asked me if I was English. Then she asked how old I was…I told her to guess…she thought I was 12. Seriously?! It’s funny how Vietnamese people often ask the same questions when they first meet you…What’s your name? Where are you from? How old are you? Do you have a boyfriend? That’s pretty much how it goes…The interactions are always interested. People also enjoy touching my hair and I’ve had a few comment on my white teeth, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment