7.15.2010

New Volunteers Arriving











Hi everyone,
Tomorrow is our official last day. Today new volunteers started arriving. I thought we would have to rearrange our room to accomodate them, but apparently we are in the work camp room. In our room it is only Ally, Hannah from Australia, and I with 5 bunk beds. It is better than 5 in a room. The new volunteers look like deer in the headlight. I wonder if we were that quiet. Most of these volunteers are from England and France and one from Japan. The one from Japan is finishing her degree in child developement from Univ of Texas..go figure.

I finally got the laminated pictures of many of the children at Friendship Village from the local print shop. It cost 90,000dong for about 20 laminated pics...that is almost 5$. This money exchange is crazy. My plan is to put the pics on construction paper with their name, age, and activity likes. Actually the teacher helped me this afternoon. She wrote the activity likes in Vietnamese and English...I think because we worked on it together she liked it. I do not know what she did with the poster I made with colored paper with the colors written in English and Vietnamese. The children in classroom 1 can talk, but they do not talk very often.

Did I tell you we met a family from Chicago at Friendship Village. They saw a documentary on it and the parents wanted to bring their 16 and 18 year old children. The mother is actually Chinese, but grew up in Malaysia. I really enjoyed talking to other adults. They will stay at the same hotel as me so I can be their "experienced tour guide of the Old Quarter, Hanoi".

I can't believe I am actually feeling comfortable riding my bike to and from Friendship Village twice a day with all the construction trucks, taxis, motor bikes and local bikes...and the many pot holes and beeping vehicles. I will miss this place but I also think it is time for us to move on. Ally received and email from her Dean, at Ithaca, asking if anyone was interested in volunteering in Vietnam or the Philipinnes. I guess he would like to set up an official internship....well, she responded and said she was here!! How cool would that be if he could set up something official with Friendship Village..they do have air conditioned housing on the premise.

We had our evalutaion today and received a nice certificate of participation and "effectively contributing" to Friendship Village. I really want to check this place out on line. One of the war veterans wanted a copy of a picture I took of him and his buddies. I guess I will try to mail more pics to them...what a humaitarian place this is.

4 comments:

  1. All I can say is WOW, what an adventure you are both on. Safe journey home with lots of memories! Deanne Garver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deanne,
    We need to catch up on lots from our families adventures. We get home Wed July 20. Thank you for the comment. I am wondering who is reding the blog...I have easy access to the computer this weekend, so comments are appreciated, half way around the world!! My gmail address is tammyswink@gmail.com...this is easiest for me to check from here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing experience! I can't wait to hear all about it. (Paula)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you both had the experience of a lifetime. I loved reading your posts, can't wait to hear more and see the photos. Safe travels back home.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete